Skip to main content

Deodorant bug



Aryan, in no time, will turn eight. He looks as smart as his daddy now. Fortunately or unfortunately, he’s aware of his looks as well. So, these days he selects his own outfits and naturally creates a hue and cry when told to wear clothes that he simply abhors. For instance, no shorts, no capris, just full pants and full-sleeved shirts. He's grown up now, you see! The bottom-line is: he wants to look good. Looking good is feeling good, I agree. But, what about smelling good?
Kids today are highly conscious of their looks. And, I thought it's just Katie Holmes and Victoria Beckham’s kids who dress up so fashionably.
But, my Aryan has taken a step further. He wants to smell good as well. Yes, besides clothes, he’s bitten by the deo bug. Aryan has been demanding deo for some time now. He says, “even children’s deos are available these days mummy, so why can’t you buy me one?” Okay! Fine, Let me think, I tell him.



And then, on one fine day he tells his dad, “Daddy, you should apply AXE deo.”  When his Daddy asked him why, Aryan’s naïve reply was, “Daddy, girls will look at you if you apply it.” “And, Daddy you should also shave often, then you would look as smart as I am.” Aryan innocuously added.
Max, my husband, simply smiled back at him, painfully aware of the fact that his little son is growing up too fast and is getting accustomed to worldly ways, too soon. Max shared this interesting little conversation he had with Aryan, when I got home from office.
I find the root in Aryan’s snoopy talk in mindless television ads. Ranbir Kapoor applying Axe and attracting female attention has got registered in his tiny little mind. And, yes, the ad had an immediate impact on him: lasting or not, I don’t know.
For the life of me, I don’t understand why deo companies conjure up such stupid ads. And, aren't these ads made for adults, then how come it has caught the fancy of young kids like Aryan(assuming it's not just Aryan who's wanting to have a deo).  Almost all the deo ads work on the same line.   Finally, I patiently explained to him, “Aryan, you are too small for a deo, just grow up baba, I’ll get you many.”
For the time being, I have put that deo out of his mind. But this is just a beginning I believe…I wonder what all stupid ads that idiot box will throw up in the future, and how much Aryan will be influenced by them.  
My goodness!!! He's already demanding Gatsby gel now. Which ad did he watch now?    

Damn with deo companies 
Jini Maxin

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Story Of A Designer Diya

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 43; the forty-third edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The theme for the month is "LIGHT" (Today, fifteen-years ago, Roshini had first lighted this antique designer diya at her dilapidated shanty. Today, fifteen-years after, Roshini is still excited about this old designer diya; and she’d once again light it up with all the energy and enthusiasm; but no, not at her shabby shanty.)                                         -----------------------------------



The designer diya was old, dull, dim and dinted. It lay there in the corner of the kitchen store room unwanted, uncared for amidst other regular diyas, half-burnt candles, unused rangoli colors, plastic thorans: all tightly tied-up and stored in a thick polythene bag.
Deepawali cleaning was going on in full swing; and for best reasons known to Reshma, my mai…

Gujarat to Goa - A Photo Story

Goa - It's 3702 square kms of pure adrenaline, where the sun, the sea and the sand never go on a vacation.
But then, for me and my family, it was the Holy churches, Home-stay concept and the Carpet of greenery turned out to be the ultimate showstoppers. (Talking about churches and greenery, Goa and Kerala could be referred as twin sisters. They are so much alike in terms of food, climate, churches and the greenery around. The moment we entered Goa I became extremely nostalgic.)



We were in Thivim, Goa from January 23, 2017, to January 27, 2017,  and we loved every bit our stay at Ajit Navelkar’s Villa. We had booked his house online through Airbnb, and I tell you, it was worth every penny spent. My younger one liked the house so much so that he nicknamed it as our “Doosra Ghar.” 
By the way, our Doosra Ghar was huge. The living room was spacious and lovely.  From the wooden lamps to the lighting arrangement to the perfectly synced wall frames and the wooden furniture, almost every…

7 Bloggers Who Were The Wind Beneath My Wings!

A super short post: yes, I had reserved it for the final day.
For various reasons, one being sounding sycophant, I was wary of writing this post. But after reading, “Don’t Think of the Blue Ball” by Malati Bhojwani (as part of readerscosmos review), I knew in my hearts of hearts that what I am doing was right. Yes, the book pumped me up so much!
The premise of the book is quite promising. It talks about gratitude, thankfulness and appreciation for people around you. In fact, the author suggests readers to maintain a Daily Gratitude Journal, wherein they should thank all the people who helped them during the day. (Sadly though, am yet to come up with such a journal.) 

So much for the greatness of the book. Honestly, I always wished to thank many bloggers promptly and profoundly for visiting my small space for these last seven days (well, almost), by replying to their priceless comments, but I admit, I've miserably failed to do so. Time constraints…hope you understand. So, here I a…