Friday 21 November 2014

Keep The Money


Word count: 100

Written for the Rochelle Weisoff Fields’ Friday Fictioneers

Photo Prompt Copyright: Copyright – Claire Fuller



His consummate fingers ran through the tyre and nailed the culprit. Deftly removing the nail, tightly nestled inside the tyre, he sealed the puncture.
With grease all over his patched shirt, buttons missing, trouser too short to cover his knees, the 10-something year old was too cold and frigid for his age. Felt like helping him and gave him a few coins.
“I am not a beggar mam, i take only what’s mine.
“Take it. Consider me as you as you elder sister.”
"I am an orphan. I don’t know what it’s like to have a sister.  Keep the money."

3 comments:

  1. Wow.I admire the pride and self respect in the boy.Wonderful short story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's such a heart breaking tone to this story, and yet the generosity of the woman redeems them both. Beautifully told.

    ReplyDelete

If my words are worthy of your valuable views, do share it here. Thanks a ton for stopping by.

The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga

This Booker prize winner was on my bookshelf I don’t for how long. Attempted reading it before, but then dumped it because t...